Believe it or not, your home can be your haven.
1. Keep things simple. Start with a good clean of the area and that includes going through boxes of papers and discarding what you don't need anymore. Once you cut the clutter, don't immediately fill the space back up again. This time around, try using less furniture in your space. Work through things piece by piece and ask yourself what the items contribute to the space. Are they beautiful, functional, or just sitting there because you've never bothered to move them.
2. Incorporate serene shades and calming colors. Stark black-and-white is incredibly modern, but also cold. Bright colors add energy and excitement. Sick with soft shades of green, blue, lavender or warm gray and you'll feel the weigh of the world lift a bit as you walk into your space next.
3. Rely on soft, natural materials. Wicker and bamboo furniture and the use of natural linen fabrics will certainly lend a very relaxed vibe to your space. Bring in a healthy dosage of luxury with tonal patterns and solid colors in richer fabrics such as velvet and silk.
4. Bring in fresh flowers. You'd be surprised at how much better a space can be even with just a few stalks of Queen Anne's Lace.
5. Live by candlelight. I'm currently in love with the new home fragrance collection by Nest called Project Art (seen above, right). Available in September at Bedbathandbeyond.com and Hallmark stores, the candles will start at just $9.99 and feature the stunning photography of several world-renowned photographers noted for their still-life artwork, making them a beautiful addition to your space in several ways.
How do you bring serenity into your space?