Careers at StyledOn, the Leading Social Style Community Platform for Influencers and Fashionistas
StyledOn.com is a VC-backed startup based in NY and LA focused on creating the largest style centric social network — we are well on our way, but we need help!
We are a marriage of fashion and technology. If this sounds appealing to you, check our current openings and see if your skill set matches. However, if you don’t see something that matches your skills or tickles your fancy, and you think you are good enough for us to create a job for you, we invite you to send us your resume with an email on why.
We are all busy here at StyledOn, so don’t send us fluff.
The more creative, the more thoughtful, the better your chances! Email email@example.com with your proposed title in the subject line.
- Director of Product Management / Senior Product Manager
- Rails Developer
- Marketing Manager - Offline
- Editorial Internship
- Strategy & Operations Internship
Location: United States
This position is contract with potential to hire, so you must be located in the US, east coast is preferred. We are located in the SoHo district of Manhattan, NYC.
StyledOn is the web’s premier style-centric social network. In less than one year, we have been named “Best of the Web” by InStyle Magazine and, according to T, The New York Times Style Magazine, we are “quickly becoming the Facebook for the fashion set.” Facilitating a true exchange of images and ideas, StyledOn is a platform of social discovery for style-minded individuals and brands alike.
But don’t let the shoes, chairs and photo shoots fool you, StyledOn is a technology company through-and-through. We try to excel in user experience, and we’re gearing up for a major relaunch of the site that will allow us to do just that. This is where you come in!
About the position:
Our headquarters are located in the SoHo district of Manhattan, New York, but this position is contract, so anywhere in the US is fine, though east coast is preferred. As the company’s second developer, you will work with the other developer to drive the site forward in every direction imaginable. You will work the entire stack, from HTML to Controllers to some basic server administration.
Together, we’ll work on everything from the custom CMS powering the site, to new public-facing features like our wildly popular photo polls, to addressing architectural issues like our activity stream, to the mechanics powering core features like posting, commenting, and complimenting. While this position does not require design experience per se, it does require an eye and attention to detail to be able to take a mockup from a designer and turn it into a functioning page quickly and precisely. This position requires outstanding skills in deconstructing problems, as you will be directly responsible for the entire life cycle of features and user stories. We’re a small, laser-focused team, and you would be our second developmental hire, so some Agile experience is highly valued.
1. Languages (required unless otherwise noted)
- 3 years min. HTML 4 & 5
- 3 years min. Ruby 1.8 - 1.9
- 2 years min. CSS 2 & 3
- 1 year min. SQL
- (Not required, but a big plus) Objective-C 2.0
- (Not required) Sass
2. Required Platforms/Apps/Tools (required unless otherwise noted)
- 2 years min. Rails 2.3 - 3
- 2 years min. WebKit/Modern HTML+JS+CSS development
- 1 year min. MySQL 5
- Mac OS X/UNIX/Linux
- (Not required, but a big plus) Redis
- (Not required, but a big plus) Photoshop CS3 - CS5
- (Not required, but a big plus) Cocoa/Cocoa Touch
3. Skills (required unless otherwise noted)
- Agile estimating and planning
- User stories, iterations
- Test-driven development, refactoring
- Rapid prototyping
- Semantic and cross-browser HTML development
- Rails & non-Rails software architecture design and scaling
- Software (GoF) and Rails-specific design patterns
- Model-View-Controller design
- RESTful API design
- Basic UNIX server administration
- (Not required, but a big plus) Basic graphic and UI design
- (Not required, but a big plus) Artificial/Collective intelligence programming
- (Not required, but a big plus) Game mechanics
- (Not required, but a big plus) Reporting and data manipulation
Don’t let that list intimidate you! Even if you don’t think you have 100% of the above skills, drop us a line, and let’s talk about it. We receive hundreds of resumes and we can’t read them all. If you are interested in this position, do more than just send us your resume. Link us to your GitHub page, projects you’re working on in your spare time, projects that interest you, and anything else you can of that will really make you stand out. If we like what we see, be prepared for a technical interview covering all of the above topics.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with “Rails Developer” in the subject line.
We’re looking forward to hearing from you!